D.Dornblüth & Sohn Forum

You are not connected. Please login or register

It's here.....!!!!

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 It's here.....!!!! on Thu Aug 06, 2009 8:45 pm

Some quick pics...I'll post more tomorrow. This watch is spectacular and I am thrilled! Dirk is a superstar!

No. 15!!!!!

View user profile

2 Teasing, after all this time! on Thu Aug 06, 2009 9:56 pm

candle7,

PLEASE GIVE US FULL DIAL AND MOVEMENT SHOTS!!!!! Congratulations on your gorgeous new acquisition.

Cheers!

View user profile http://www.dornbluethblog.com

3 Re: It's here.....!!!! on Fri Aug 07, 2009 1:32 am

Congratulations!

That looks absolutely gorgeous - let's have some more of those amazing photographs!

View user profile

4 Here we go! on Fri Aug 07, 2009 6:33 pm

I recently received my Dornbluth & Sohn Center Second and am walking on clouds!

Flawless enamel dial. Crisp black printing. The watch is super-legible owing to the contrast between the heat-blued, hand-polished hands and the stark white dial.

My other Dornbluth has Superluminova hands and I now understand what people mean when they talk about the blued hands looking bright blue or dark black, depending on the lighting conditions. The lengths of each hand are perfect and the delicate second hand with its fine counterweight is a delight, as it ticks along at 18000vph. To put things in perspective, keep in mind the width of the printing on the dial measures about 12mm...the images here are highly magnified and believe me, this watch stands up to the loupe and has nothing to hide!

The dial is the most beautiful I've ever seen and it is difficult to describe and photograph. Here's a shot next to the silver dial of my Nomos to show how they differ:

At 12.5mm, the case is 1mm thicker than my 99.1, and this extra height is added on the underside of the case, presumably to house the extra 1mm of height this movement requires to contain the center second bridge. This extra mm makes the watch rest slightly higher on the wrist vs. the 99.1, but does not interfere with shirt cuffs and is very comfortable.

As a reference, a couple of shots of the CS next to my Omega Speedmaster. I think the Speedy's about 1mm thicker:

The OEM straps are fantastic & I ordered several to switch up the look of this watch. These pics are with the blue strap with blue stitching.

Upon turning the watch over, the austere, visually simple dial gives way to the complicated, glittering, multi-dimensional movement...Number 15!!!!

The center seconds bridge catches the eye first and leads to the small, exposed gear protruding through the 3/4 plate, moving almost imperceptibly. The eye then moves to the meshing of the teeth with the intermediate wheel, and then to the spokes of this wheel, to verify that they are, in fact, in motion.

I asked Dirk to decorate the center seconds bridge with the same stripes as the 3/4 plate and, while not evident from the angle of this photograph, these line up perfectly together.

Becuase this is a Dornbluth, you almost take for granted the hand-engraved balance cock, screwed balance, gold screwed chatons, heat-blued screws, swan neck regulator, sunbursts on the ratchet and barrel and distinctive German click, but each of these is a marvel and perfectly executed.

Gazing deep into the movement to watch the escape wheel interact with the pallet jewels of the lever is mesmerising and another reason the 18000vph is ideal...any faster and you'd miss the show.

The Geneva stripes are so perfectly executed on the 3/4 plate that, in certain light, the edges and surface of the movement actually appear to be scalloped!

I prefer the type of engraving used on this watch vs. the rotary-instrument type used for my 99.1. Both are exquisite, but this one has the sharp points and smooth curves of fountain pen script.

CS:

99.1:

It boggles the mind to think of all the separate procedures required to create, finish and assemble all of these components and make them not only beautiful, but precise and functional under the rigors of constant use in various positions.

After waiting several months, Dirk knows expectations and emotions run high on delivery day and he does not disappoint.

I feel truly honoured to own two stunning examples of this calibre of craft. I thank Dirk, Anja and their staff for their incredible attention to detail and spectacular customer service. I could not be happier!

Thanks for looking & I hope you enjoyed the show! Cheers!

View user profile

5 Killer! on Fri Aug 07, 2009 6:49 pm

That is a fantastic watch. Thanks for your photos and wonderful narrative.

After the dial, which is in itself a work of art, the first thing I noticed was the deep, pointy tipped engraving on the movement. Was this an option that you discussed with Dirk, or have they changed their methodology?

Hearty congratulations!

View user profile http://www.dornbluethblog.com

6 thanks! on Fri Aug 07, 2009 7:12 pm

Thanks for your comments, dornblogger! The pointy-tipped engraving was a very pleasant surprise to me. I did notice this type of engraving on earlier Dornbluth models in the catalogue, and from photos online (some of them yours) and assumed when I received my 99.1 in Dec 2007, that they had switched to a rotary type engraving for all their latest watches. To my surprise and joy, my 2009 model has the carved engraving!

To be honest, I'm not sure if it depends who is doing the engraving or which model of watch is being fabricated, but I LOVE the look of it. Very Happy

In the catalogue, the prototype model of the CS calibre has the other "rotary" type of engraving on it.

Looking at it, you can almost feel the blade of the instrument flicking away the metal, especially at points like this, with the point at the top of the "&" and the smooth curves of the "K."

It's really unfair to even post photos at this ridiculously high magnification, but this engraving stands up to the highest scrutiny! Amazing! Very Happy Very Happy

View user profile

7 Wow. on Fri Aug 07, 2009 7:17 pm

Not much more to say than "Wow." You're the king. king

Stunning watch, and your review was great.

That enamel dial is to-die-for. I wonder how many people
saw your pictures (besides me!) and immediately started thinking about
asking Dirk about replacing their dial with an enamel one...

View user profile

8 still smitten! on Fri Sep 18, 2009 2:58 pm

After 5 weeks of ownership, I'm happier with my latest from Dirk with each passing day! To anyone waiting for a Center Second model, rest assured...it is well worth the wait! Very Happy

View user profile

9 stunning! on Sun Sep 27, 2009 8:57 pm

A true piece of art!

Congratulations!

View user profile

10 Re: It's here.....!!!! on Wed Sep 30, 2009 1:30 pm

candle7 wrote:After 5 weeks of ownership, I'm happier with my latest from Dirk with each passing day! To anyone waiting for a Center Second model, rest assured...it is well worth the wait! Very Happy

I´m happy of hear it!!! because in the last month I´ll become a little frigthtened of my choice instead of the 99.1.... In the next month I´ll receive my center seconds with silver dial and raised numerals... I can´t wait.....

The only thing that I don´t have clear is about the strap.... brown with white stitching, maybe all dark brown or maybe blue.....????

Great post and marvellous pics... thanks

View user profile

11 Sounds like a great dial combination! on Wed Sep 30, 2009 11:28 pm

I can't wait to see the pics! My advice: get several straps...that way you can change them up! I do really like the blue strap with blue stitching, though. Can't wait to hear your thoughts when you get yours!

View user profile

12 Re: It's here.....!!!! on Tue Dec 22, 2009 5:23 pm

candle7 wrote:I can't wait to see the pics! My advice: get several straps...that way you can change them up! I do really like the blue strap with blue stitching, though. Can't wait to hear your thoughts when you get yours!

Finally my watch arrived to the Spanish dealer...

On next week I´ll get it... then I´ll put a lot of pics

View user profile

13 I'm very excited for you, Maese.... on Thu Dec 24, 2009 12:32 am

....I'll keep an eye out for the pics!

View user profile

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum