D.Dornblüth & Sohn Forum

You are not connected. Please login or register

Design elements

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 Design elements on Fri Dec 11, 2009 10:03 pm

Watchman

I am considering the purchase of a Dornblüth 99.1 in steel with enamel dial, black imprint numbers and markers, and alligator strap.

My question is, is it too much to go with blue steel appliqués with an enamel dial or stay with the traditional print?

I would like to know if anyone has considered contrasting engraving on the balance cock and what do you think of a red/ gold combination? I think it would show off the engraving very nicely.

When shipping internationally, specifically Canada, has anyone experienced shipping delays and what documents i.e. CITES, must be included to avoid this?

I’m in the Montreal area and would like to know if a meeting can be set up to see one of these fine time pieces in the flesh.

Thanks

Lorne

2 My thoughts on Sat Dec 12, 2009 9:46 pm

Watchman wrote:I am considering the purchase of a Dornblüth 99.1 in steel with enamel dial, black imprint numbers and markers, and alligator strap.

My question is, is it too much to go with blue steel appliqués with an enamel dial or stay with the traditional print?

I would like to know if anyone has considered contrasting engraving on the balance cock and what do you think of a red/ gold combination? I think it would show off the engraving very nicely.

When shipping internationally, specifically Canada, has anyone experienced shipping delays and what documents i.e. CITES, must be included to avoid this?

I’m in the Montreal area and would like to know if a meeting can be set up to see one of these fine time pieces in the flesh.

Thanks

Lorne

Lorne:

The watch you are considering is a beauty in its most basic, stock configuration. In my opinion, the switch to an enamel dial makes it spectacular. Have you seen Mark's enamel dialed 99.1? It is beyond gorgeous. Have you decided between the single-and double-rail sub-seconds display? I don't know if appliqués on top of enamel is even possible. If it is, I personally wouldn't do it.

I've seen contrasting engraving on a rhodium plated Dornblüth balance cock, and it looks fantastic. I would be interested to see the red/gold combination.

I know nothing about shipping to Canada.

Cheers!

View user profile http://www.dornbluethblog.com

3 Re: Design elements on Tue Dec 15, 2009 7:23 am

Lorne:

I'll echo Dornblogger and say that I don't think applied numerals on an enamel dial is possible. Appliques are typically mounted on little posts that are fitted through holes drilled in the dial and then soldered and filed flat on the back of the dial. This type of manipulation would crack the enamel. Aesthetically, I don't think it would be a good fit, either. If you love the raised numerals, go with the traditional silver or black or blue dial.

Contrasting engraving is an interesting idea, and the red gold/yellow gold combination sounds attractive, as does the the gold/rhodium, or perhaps the reverse, rhodium with gold engraving...

My experience is that Dirk ships the proper CITES paperwork to cover the alligator strap with his watches. Mine was held up in US customs for a different issue, lack of a valuation breakdown to calculate duty. Not a long delay, perhaps 5 days or so.

-Tom

View user profile

4 shipping to canada.... on Mon Dec 21, 2009 8:23 pm

...is no problem. I missed the photos of Mark's enamel 99.1, can anyone direct me to them, please? Thanks.

View user profile

5 Mark's 99.1 on Mon Dec 21, 2009 8:41 pm

candle7 wrote:...is no problem. I missed the photos of Mark's enamel 99.1, can anyone direct me to them, please? Thanks.
[list][*]

http://dornbluth.clubdiscussion.net/my-watch-f5/a-parcel-from-germany-t93.htm

View user profile http://www.dornbluethblog.com

6 HA! on Tue Dec 22, 2009 12:32 am

Thanks, dornblogger...turns out I had seen the pics, and even replied to the post(!).....the pics took my attention, and I read the text too fast, however, and didn't realize it was an enamel-dialed 99.1.

Very nice, again, Mark, and again, thanks for the link, dornblogger. Cheers!

View user profile

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum